Sunday, August 22, 2010

I FOUND A SITE LISTING BAD POEMS


I have always believed that the definition of 
"bad poetry" is both fluid and subjective. 
A perfunctory stroll through the offerings on that site 
confirmed this belief.

Don't get me wrong. 
There was poetry on the site that would be horrid 
by the standards of most sentient beings. 
But there was also poetry 
that in another era 
would have been considered very touching and beautiful
There was also poetry considered classic and ethereal 
by the best minds of our times.

The poetry featured here, on my Blog, 
varies tremendously in style and subject matter
as well as the poet's own story and history. 
The only thing they all have in common is that 
they have touched me in some way.

So, in short, I believe all that matters is how a poem speaks to you. 
And for me, doggerel though it may be, 
this one has a wonderful sentiment.


 

Myself
by Edgar Guest

    I have to live with myself, and so,
    I want to be fit for myself to know;
    I want to be able as days go by,
    Always to look myself straight in the eye;
    I don't want to stand with the setting sun
    And hate myself for the things I've done.
    I don't want to keep on a closet shelf
    A lot of secrets about myself,
    And fool myself as I come and go
    Into thinking that nobody else will know
    The kind of man I really am;
    I don't want to dress myself up in sham.
    I want to deserve all men's respect;
    But here in this struggle for fame and pelf,
    I want to be able to like myself.
    I don't want to think as I come and go
    That I'm for bluster and bluff and empty show.
    I never can hide myself from me,
    I see what others may never see,
    I know what others may never know,
    I never can fool myself -- and so,
    Whatever happens, I want to be
    Self-respecting and conscience free.

Bad Poetry /Seamus Cooney.

No comments:

Post a Comment