Sunday, November 20, 2011

Father Iraq, Mother Palestine

     by - Farrah Sarafa

Mortar attacks a bus in Baghdad, 15 die
Civil war strife mirrors the war
America has waged on Iraqi life

More than two years ago.

How can this happen
How can this be
That I will never see
The land of my great grandfather?

I strive, I feel too much zeal
to help heal the schisms
splitting this poor country
and that of Palestine.
              

marble grief statue of a woman kneeling with her head in her hands
*

Hamas' request that they vacate the west
and return East Jerusalem
on which they settled, built checkpoint and a wall
In 1949

How can this happen
How can this be
That I will never see
The Land of my dear grandmother?

I cry, I whine, abstaining

From bodily pleasures
emptying myself
of the life deprived Iraq.


Copyright 2006.



No comments:

Post a Comment