Saturday, November 17, 2012

A Few Words from a Concientious Objector in the War on the War on Christmas

It's starting again: manufactured outrage over holiday greetings.

I live in an area with wonderful people from all over the world and they hold many different beliefs. There are Buddhists, Christians, Hindus, Jews, Muslims, Sikhs, Wiccans, and many others. There are also non-believers. 

I say "Have a wonderful holiday," because there are a number of holidays celebrated at this time of year and, contrary to what some believe, you can't know everybody's religion just by looking at them.

Freedom of speech and Freedom of religion aside, it's about respecting other people. You know, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

So please join with me in wishing health and happiness to others in this holiday season, especially those whose lives have been touched by war and natural disaster. Perhaps a few dollars given to your favorite charity, or some time spent volunteering at a local shelter or food bank can help ease another's suffering. And that is my understanding of "the reason for the season."

holly branch

Please
Have a Wonderful Holiday
and 
I hope your new year is filled with love and peace and happiness



If you are curious about the many different holidays celebrated this time of year, or any time,
here are two holiday calendars. Take your pick: Calendar #1 & Calendar #2

5 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. A few years ago, a neighbor sent an invite to many women in the neighborhood for a holiday coffee. Everyone thought, oh, how nice, and lots of us showed up. Turns out it was a "Come to Jesus" meeting, complete with a pastor and a sermon. Among the invites? Jews and Muslims. I was horrified. Nowhere on the invite did it even hint this was going to happen. She tried it again the next year, and guess what? She had to cancel it because no one planned on attending. Including several Christians who also found it terrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aside from election season, this time of year seems to hold more anger and animosity than any other. So much for joy and glad tidings. But like yourself, people are beginning to push back against it, no longer willing to stand back as others are treated like second class citizens. And this kindness redeems us all.

      Delete
    2. You're totally right, Snowball. When I heard my very Catholic neighbor say that what the other woman did was offensive, I knew she was reaching beyond her own beliefs to support others. And that is the spirit of the season, no matter what you believe or don't believe.

      Delete
  2. I really like your sentiment, Snowball. I'm a non-Christian, and have for many years looked for Christmas cards that only have the words 'holidays' or 'season' on it, not Christmas. Not because I have anything against Christmas, we do celebrate it at my house! but because it's the season - the turn of the year, the welcoming of the new year, and the need for light and green we all have, that I want to connect with in everyone. Have a very happy holiday period too, Snowball :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Susan. I'm drawing our Christmas cards this year. It will be the first time since I lost the fine motor control in my hands. They won't be masterpieces but I'm working through my issues while sending my greetings!

      Our families see us as lost causes. They don't understand that when you are not saving it all up for 'later,' you are kind and good and responsible now. I guess it's left over from my hippy days.

      Delete