Monday, January 28, 2013

BOOK REVIEWS. Sort Of.



   

These three books were for the New Year's Resolution Reading Challenge, the goal of which was to underpin our resolutions with community and practical support. I chose the Committed level, with 3 books.

My original post with my stated goals is HERE.


Create Your Incredible Year - Leonie Dawson  

1). Wrote my goals down. 2). Broke them into the steps needed to achieve them. and ... 3). Put it all up on my office door. I can mark off things as I complete them and periodically assess my progress. I already knew how to do this, but Leonie Dawson gave me a fun and uplifting way to do it. (And she emails me regularly.)
 

The Poet's Market - Robert Lee Brewer, Ed.

Normally this isn't a read and review type of book for me. However, this time I'm using it not just for the markets themselves, but for the practical information.

(I got a good deal on last year's model. Oh, just a hint. I f you use an older version, be sure to double check such things as contact person, etc . . . )
I've gleaned many useful things from the articles, from general publishing information to specifics on submissions, and have picked out many markets that deal with plebes like myself (marking them with little green flags). Since the majority of my poetry these days is Haiku, I'm going to start with markets friendly to that style.

So, I have . . . 1). Found appropriate markets for my writing. 2). (Begun sending for) sample issues / subscriptions. (This costs $ and so is an ongoing process) 3). Downloaded submission guidelines. 4). Identified appropriate pieces of work

How to Publish Your Poetry - Helene Ciaravino    

This book takes the basics broached in Poet's Market and goes much more in depth. It anticipates and answers many questions. It also gives sage advice and many examples.

That all helps in the confidence department.

By this time next year I may be published again or I may not. But it will not be because I didn't try.



I'm so happy to have found this challenge. It already feels good just to have identified my goals and taken the first steps toward their realization. Here's to resolutions kept!


2 comments:

  1. Woohoo! This all sounds so exciting for your year of 2013. Good luck with your poetry publication. I'm so impressed with the steps you've taken so far.

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy. And thank you for the challenge. I hope I get a chance to do it again next year.

      Delete