Saturday, April 18, 2015

It's A Garden Party - Water & Roses & Other Things



This feature, originally known as Saturday Farmer's Market, was created by Heather at Capricious Reader, and then hosted by Chris at Stuff as Dreams are Made on.

Japanese Maple

The Water Conservation Corps sent emails outlining the new water CA restrictions. In a nut shell, our 'goal' is to cut back to 25% less than our 2013 usage.

I've changed the garden quite a bit over the past few years with a view to conserving both effort and water, and still have some intensive work to do. I need to build edgings for most of the beds and the rows of fruit trees that will hold a thick layer of mulch in place over my soaker hoses.

Hopefully this will help me hit my target.

The Lavender is beginning its season.

I have, four different kinds, the first of which you see here.

It was salvaged by my husband from a clearance bin and though it seems to be a Spanish cultivar, I don't know any specifics.

One thing I do know is that it is very happy this year - and I have not given the Lavender bed a drop of water since last summer.

Once established, it tends to be quite drought tolerant.






We had two days of gale force winds, not uncommon for this time of year, and this was the result.

I'm always amazed at how much fruit we can lose and still have a huge crop.












I transplanted three Peonies last month and they hardly noticed!

This is the first bloom.













The Columbine also transplanted well.

Here it is getting ready to bloom.











Curious.

The yellow Iris never bloom until after the purple ones are finished.

But bloom they do.












And then we have . . .
 Roses!











A Red, Red Rose
- Robert Burns

O my luve’s like a red, red rose,
That’s newly sprung in June;
O my luve’s like the melodie
That’s sweetly played in tune.

As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
So deep in luve am I;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a’ the seas gang dry.

Till a’ the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi’ the sun:
O I will love thee still, my dear,
While the sands o’ life shall run.

And fare thee weel, my only luve,
And fare thee weel awhile!
And I will come again, my luve,
Though it were ten thousand mile.

No comments:

Post a Comment