Sunday, May 31, 2015

BOOK REVIEWS. Sort Of.





A note about BOOK REVIEWS. Sort Of.:

These are not, in any way, meant to be comprehensive reviews. They are intended to acknowledge that I have read the book, and give my honest core impressions.

If a real review is what you wish, there are many wonderful book blogs available, and I have provided some tools to find them under the tab marked "Useful Stuff."






~ SHORT STORIES ~

The Safe Man (ebook) - Michael Connelly

Wow!

I hadn't expected such a solid effort from a writer of murder mysteries, but ... yes.







~ EBOOKS ~

The Burning Room (ebook) - Michael Connelly

I think it's a sign of how good a writer is by how angry you become when the main character ends up getting a raw deal at the hands of his superiors - and I have railed over and over again at some of the jerks in Bosch's world.

Connelly remains one of my favorite writers of murder mysteries.




Killing Orders (ebook) - Sara Paretsky

"Still, you know what they say - the best medical care today costs no more than the cheapest nuclear submarine."

Danger can come from the most unexpected places. Although these days, It's not that unexpected.




Death on Retreat - Sister Carol Anne O'Marie

Even the serene redwoods cannot shield Sister Mary Helen from the intrusion of murder.

Neither can the law keep her from using her sharp mind to solve the mystery.







~ REINCARNATED TREES ~

The Golem of Hollywood - Jonathan Kellerman & Jesse Kellerman

Jonathan Kellerman has been consistently one of my favorite authors for years, and this collaboration with his son Jesse was an unexpected pleasure.

A modern murder mystery unfolds along side an ancient story, and the two eventually converge. It drew me along.

Unfortunately, now I have to look up Jesse Kellerman's novels and read them!


How to Have a Green Thumb Without an Aching Back - Ruth Stout

Have you ever enjoyed reading a gardening book? This one was amusing and well written.

It's not a how to book, nor does it go into in depth explanations. Ms Stout shares all the mistakes she made over the years, and explains her principal of gardening that she developed over the years.

I have been coming to some of the same conclusions as Ms Stout, and found the book helpful.

Raging Heat - Richard Castle

"Nikki, never underestimate the ability of the devils among us to see only the saints in themselves. How else could they go about their day?"

Richard Castle may not be the best mystery writer who ever lived, but the way he balances his characters and the different worlds he inhabits is masterful.  . . . Really.

This was another fun romp with Nikki Heat and her crew as she goes toe to toe with those who believe their power can beat her push for justice.

Motive - Jonathan Kellerman

"- let me ask you, amigo, what that tech said, everything tastes like chicken. You think chickens say everything tastes like corn?"

A new murder links back to a cold case, but the clues are very confusing. Detective Sturgis and Doctor Delaware persevere, however.

There was less gore and more puzzle than some of the previous Alex Delaware novels. That being said, I've never been disappointed with any of them.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs

Mr. Riggs has taken found objects (actual vintage photographs) and used them as the centerpiece of an intriguing story.

Like the narrator, the reader begins the novel vacillating between explanations for the occurrences, however . . .




The Brief History of the Dead - Kevin Brockmeier

This is a story about life, death, and what lies between.

It left me asking the question: How many people have I touched in my life?






Dark Tower IV: Wizard And Glass - Stephen King

"Story telling always changes time. At least I does in my world."

Past, present, and the moving on . . .

The gunslinger finally begins to tell his tale, and it's not hard to understand why he is the way he is.

(I hope I live to finish reading the series. At the rate I'm going it's not a forgone conclusion.)


No comments:

Post a Comment