Saturday, March 5, 2016

It's A Garden Party! - How About Some Lousy Iris Pictures . . .




This feature, originally known as Saturday Farmer's Market, was created by Heather at Capricious Reader, and then hosted by Chris at Stuff as Dreams are Made on.

It's the pictures that are lousy, not the Irises.

In fact, these Irises were in my neighbor's yard for many years, dating from before we moved into our house, and were a gift when she sold up and moved after her husband died.

They have multiplied happily and will need to be dug up and thinned here soon.



The Wild Iris
- Louise Gluck

At the end of my suffering
there was a door.

Hear me out: that which you call death
I remember.

Overhead, noises, branches of the pine shifting.
Then nothing. The weak sun
flickered over the dry surface.

It is terrible to survive
as consciousness
buried in the dark earth.

Then it was over: that which you fear, being
a soul and unable
to speak, ending abruptly, the stiff earth
bending a little. And what I took to be
birds darting in low shrubs.

You who do not remember
passage from the other world
I tell you I could speak again: whatever
returns from oblivion returns
to find a voice:

from the center of my life came
a great fountain, deep blue
shadows on azure seawater.



No comments:

Post a Comment