Saturday, April 2, 2016

It's A Garden Party! - Life Abundant!




This feature, originally known as Saturday Farmer's Market, was created by Heather at Capricious Reader, and then hosted by Chris at Stuff as Dreams are Made on.

Last week was ... Well, Things didn't work out as planned. I've been sick for several weeks now and just not on top of my game. That coupled with Easter left me ...

The weather here has been beautiful. We've had some rain and all the wild things are happy right now. I took lots of garden pictures; we had the grandkids over to color eggs and I took a ton of pictures; then I started to upload them to the computer and there was nothing. It took a whole day to figure out that the card went bad. All my beautiful pictures were gone.

This is the only Easter picture I have for this year. 
The eggs are wooden ones we made with my daughter years ago
and paper mache ones that we made with her kids last year.


We put a different card in and the camera is working now, so here we go.


My African Violet is blooming in the Conservatory. Yay! Back in the old country I had a massive collection of them with some of them always blooming. This is the first one I was able to even keep alive here.





This is my Easter Lily.

It is usually late for Easter, but this year it's really late.

Right now it's about a foot high.

My guess is that Claude McKay wouldn't be writing about this one.




The Easter Flower
 - Claude McKay

Far from this foreign Easter damp and chilly
My soul steals to a pear-shaped plot of ground,
Where gleamed the lilac-tinted Easter lily
Soft-scented in the air for yards around;

Alone, without a hint of guardian leaf!
Just like a fragile bell of silver rime,
It burst the tomb for freedom sweet and brief
In the young pregnant year at Eastertime;

And many thought it was a sacred sign,
And some called it the resurrection flower;
And I, a pagan, worshiped at its shrine,
Yielding my heart unto its perfumed power.

Poppies!


Let me tell you a story about this year's California Poppies

The entire side of the yard with the fruit trees was covered in poppy plants after the winter rains, and I expected an exceptional display. Then I got sick and didn't even look outside for two weeks.

When I did look outside, I received quite a shock. Instead of a field of poppies, my front yard was waist high in fox tails. They came up through the Poppies and covered everything. It looks like a field of wheat.

This is my front yard. I'm sure the neighbors are real happy.


There is a lot of blooming going on in this wilderness though.

Lilacs


Azeleas


One Japanese Iris under the little Japanese Maple


Sporaxis



And then there are the Roses that never stopped blooming all winter. 
The bushes are tall and full of buds . . . but I think I'll save them for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment